Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Knitting: Always an Option

So I've changed my mind... I have 11 and a half squares done for this afghan and I think I'm going to do the original 12 squares and call it good.  The nature of the assembly of this thing means I can always add to it later, but for right now, I'm sick of working on this thing.  The sheer number of ends woven in so far is staggering, and I have about 12 ends per square more to weave in with the neutral color borders, plus the stitching together of the squares.  It's going to take me at least another week to finish this thing.

I like the end product, not the entire process of knitting.  Knitting is cool, it's the finishing that makes me grind my teeth.

I did break down and cast on a girly top in orange.  It's soothing to just knit, knit, knit in the round without having to stop and count or weave in any pesky ends.  Plus, if I wanted to take it somewhere, I only have one skein of yarn, as opposed to the six for the afghan.  Seriously.  I have the colors set up in a little pyramid on the end of the couch, so I can just grab an end.  Want to pack all that up to go to the bus stop for fifteen minutes?  No way.

Plus, I figured out after five squares that the ones with the purple chevrons in the corners I was counting the number of rows wrong... by about half.  No way am I going to perpetuate that mistake for another four squares or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment