Saturday, March 17, 2012

Knitting: Blah Blah Blah

Sorry about not having posted a knitting post for quite some time.  As we say in the True Blood knitting group on Ravelry, I've lost my knitting mojo.  I have been experiencing a serious case of the knitting blahs. 

It all started when the temperatures began to rise.  Here it is, the first day of spring, and we're consistently getting temperatures in the 80's all this week.  It didn't help that my current project, the Shipwreck Shawl, was such an absolute pain in my ass.  Section six, the third lace chart deceptively called Madeira, was kicking me up and down the block.  I ripped back to halfway through the chart on a Friday evening, and it took me until the following Monday evening to catch up to where I'd been before I ripped back, because I kept hating it and ripping back again.  I might need a shot of fortified wine after that.



Now, I'm at the very easy k2tog, yo section... with beads.  This is my first beaded shawl attempt.  If you follow the instructions exactly, you must pre-string the beads.  All 5,000 of them.  I have Asperger's, and therefore am incredibly patient and focused on tiny details, but that's just insane.  The required beads measure about a half a cup.  I started threading beads, and after two hours I had barely made a dent in the pile of beads.  I did some measuring and math, and I will have strung thirty-four FEET of beads onto the yarn by the time I'm done.  I don't even know where I'd put a thirty-four foot string of beads on the end of my couch.

I am also rather uninspired by my color choices.  I do plan on doing a fancy dye job when it's done, but right now it's just gray.

Friday was payday, so I ordered myself a battery-powered bead spinner.  It swirls the beads around, so you can just stick a curved needle into the bowl and they magically pop onto the needle.  It will arrive Tuesday afternoon.  Hopefully my mojo will come back with it, somewhere at the bottom of the spinner's bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment