Friday, August 29, 2014

Wildlife Be Crazy, Yo







So I'm doing dishes at the kitchen sink, minding my own business, when I notice this weird, zig-zaggy spiderweb.  First thought that flits through my mind is that my daughter had been playing with silly string out in the yard.  Then I notice the big eight-legged creepy-crawly floating in the middle of it.  I then bravely stepped two inches out my front door and snapped this with a telephoto lens.  From way, far away.

That was five days ago, and that wench is still there.  Mocking me.  I feel like I've got things crawling on my skin every time I spot her.  It's unnerving.  And she's the size of a saucer.  You're going to have to take my word for it, because there's no effing way I'm getting close enough to put something in the shot for scale.

An internet friend managed to make a possible species match, the Argiope aurantia.  If you look at the shot of its underside, it's almost a perfect match.  It says they sometimes eat the males after mating.

Okay, she can hang out for a while.  Kill a few wasps, and we'll call it even, lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment