Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Knitting: Tempest fever

As I noted previously, I started the Tempest cardigan for my daughter.  Since it's not a portable project (and I had my final-for-a-while dentist appointment last week) I have also started a pair of socks in the same colorway as the solid color of her sweater.  I also started another Tempest for myself, in Knit Picks "Royalty" stroll and Twisted's Valkyrie colorways.  Yeah, I'm going to look like a serious Vikings fan, but I'm okay with that.

I got the knitting books I was pining after.  The Skinny Yarns book was not quite what I was looking for, but it *is* inspirational.  The Two-at-a-time Socks book was okay, but every pattern seemed dependent on a specific yarn to get the desired look.  What I like in knitting books is a variety of patterns in their specified genre which are not yarn-dependent... I don't want to track down your ultra-expensive yarn in X colorway.  What I want is to be able to use my stash, whatever's in it, and still have the item come out looking passably attractive and at least similar to the finished product pictured in the book.  While I may use a modest amount of silk in my projects, there's no way I'm blowing money on cashmere, yak, or quivuit.  I don't care how skinny it is or how well it drapes.... it's too expensive and too hot for Texas.

What I'd really like to see... a book for using lace-weight yarn on something that isn't a shawl, and isn't terribly lacy.  Anyone have suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment