Wednesday, June 3, 2009

It's a Sim Life...

Sims 3.... not bad! (How's that for a ringing endorsement?) I played it all day yesterday once it was a) delivered and b) my computer finished its on-boot C: drive defragmentation I foolishly started to "keep me occupied until the game got here". The dang defrag took two freaking hours! That's what I get for being a hard drive space hog.

Sims 3 is both shiny-new and terribly familiar all at the same time.... both in very good ways. With the seamless neighborhood, load-times are limited to when you first load up the game... no more loading every time you travel. You no longer have to endlessly make friends to advance your career, you get to actually *do* your *job*.

Wants are no longer mandatory, they are put into a "wish list" where either you can promise your sim you'll try to accomplish it, putting it into one of four empty slots, or skip it by right-clicking and dismissing it.

My only problem with the game is that even at the fastest speed, waiting for your sim to get done sleeping is a tremendous snooze-fest... and they need to sleep a LOT. Let me put it this way, I've gotten 153 pages into one of my favorite epics (The Proud Breed by Celeste DeBlasis... my first ever trashy novel) while watching my sim sleep. It's a flaw, to be sure, but not irredeemable.

I've still only experienced a fraction of the game, but all in all I am happy with my purchase... unlike SPORE, which disappointed me to no end. Just exploring all the fishing spots on the default town could take me days! Now, if only I could tinker with the refrigerator to make it self-cleaning like the stove, sink and shower, I'd be content.

No comments:

Post a Comment