Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Knitting: Can't You Read My Mind?

I just realized that I forgot to post that I finished my "Catkin" shawl.  In my defense, I was trying to finish it before the "Knit's Watch" Game of Thrones group knitalong deadline.  I squeaked it in by a day and a half, finishing all three projects in time.  (The steel Clapo-ktus, the Sylvi Coat, and the Catkin)  It was fun.





I have finally sat down to knit my daughter's "Tempest" sweater for the new school year.  I'm using Alpaca Sox yarn in red and cerise multi, so it's going to be brilliant... in every sense of the word.

I also have a stash-busting afghan started that I keep by the bed to work on when I'm relaxing for sleep.  It's a simple double-crochet in straight-line rows, one for each color.  I'm using Knit Picks Palette yarn, double stranded.  I *almost* use up an entire ball for a row.  Seeing as how I have one of those lawn and leaf bags FULL of palette yarn that I will never use, since it's useless for socks, here's where it's going.  I could probably make about five of them.





I am thinking about going ahead and making up all of them that I can, and selling them.  I would have to market them towards people with more money than time or patience.

I also similarly crocheted a black and red scarf in a worsted-weight cotton/silk blend, but since I'm planning on giving that to my next "True Blood" swap partner, I will skip the pictures for now so as not to ruin the surprise.  :D

I do love the *speed* of crochet.  I can knock out things in a flash.  However, I think the fabric looks chunky, bulky, and cheap, so I would not wear a crocheted garment.  That is not to say that someone out there does not think differently than I do, or that they wouldn't buy such an item. 

I shall have to re-think my policy on never making anything I wouldn't want for myself.  I have seen people purchase, adore, and wear some of the strangest things... who am I to judge?

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you about crocheted items. I like the look of crochet for toys, blankets/afghans, lacey shawls and some hats but I really despise the way it looks in sweaters, skirts and other wearable items. It's all a matter of taste I know, but I prefer knitting for the majority of my handmade stuff.

    ReplyDelete