Sunday, March 9, 2008

Not enough hours in the day...

Yes, I admit it, I've been fantasizing... about my upcoming spinning wheel purchase. While I enjoy spinning on a spindle (I told hubby it's like my former LoTRO addiction without the trolls) I'm frustrated by the "pause and go" aspect of having to wind the finished yarn onto the spindle. Not to mention that I have to stop and ply it after only a single ounce! Just thinking about a wheel that will not only spin it onto a bobbin for me as I go, but fit a full 4oz on the bobbin at a time, makes me sigh and stare dreamily off towards the horizon.

I believe I've settled on my future paramour... A Kromski Sonata in a beautiful walnut finish. With a tensioned lazy Kate (which makes me think of LOST every time I see it, hah), three niddy noddys in graduated sizes, and a bundle of fiber, I think I'm stretching my husband's tolerance for birthday-gift pricing, but since we're going halvsies on it, he'd better not complain too loudly. Hah.

Funny thing is, my spinning daydreams are inevitably leading me towards weaving too, but there just isn't enough time in the day to feed spinning, weaving, AND knitting. So I'm going to have to choose... for now.

I guess in an ideal world, some fabulous idea would come to me for a garment, I would then plan whether to weave or knit it, and then spin the necessary yarn for it and make it. However, I am one of those people who can't seem to get projects done fast enough.

When I played LoTRO, I used to lament that my characters never seemed to level up fast enough. My husband (and common sense) told me that I'd need to concentrate on one single character to see any real progress. And he's right. Well, it's the same for my fiber crafts... if I want to finish those socks, I have to actually be working on THEM and not spinning on a spindle or starting up yet another hat.

So even though I will still be buying my wheel, and will inevitably play on it for hours when I first get it, once the newness wears off I'm going to make a serious attempt to get all my undone projects finished, and start trying to see one project at a time through to the end. Yes, I will need little side projects for situations where hauling a full-blown knitting bag around won't do, but socks are always on some of my needles somewhere, so they don't count.

But if I'm going to see my yellow Chenille bathrobe to level 40, I'm going to have to start doing some serious grinding on the sleeves.

No comments:

Post a Comment