Saturday, October 16, 2010

Television: Formula, Formula

I believe I'm going to have to switch my TV blogging to Saturdays.... since the move of "Supernatural" from Thursday to Friday, it's far too long a wait to discuss the really good stuff.  And yes, I consider "Supernatural" the best show I'm watching.

This week, much like "Enterprise"s episode "A Night in Sickbay", "Supernatural" had a one-hour focus on one of the more peripheral characters, and a slice of their life.  "Weekend at Bobby's", directed by show star Jensen Ackles in his big debut, gives us a quick two-day peek into what typically goes on in Bobby's average day.  Or not so average.... and why, oh why, won't the powers that be let him eat that frickking peach cobbler?  Great episode.

On "Fringe", I knew Walter's acquisition of Massive Dynamic would prove to be a candy store the writers could not resist going nuts in, and they did not disappoint.  I did not get a chance to read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" before the episode, so I could compare and contrast the themes, but it was an excellent episode nonetheless.

"Rubicon" is winding up its season.   With the dramatic attempt on Will's life, they're setting us up for a firecracker of a cliffhanger till next summer.  They do a very good job of making him human and interesting.

I'm not sure I like the appearance of Dr. Rush's dead wife on "Stargate: Universe".  Jiminy Cricket she's not.  I also really wish they hadn't found a way to get Lou Diamond Philips onto the ship... that guy annoys me.  Oh well, he won't be poaching wives from men who are on assignment anymore.

We're behind on "Glee" and "Modern Family".  We've checked out "No Ordinary Family" but we're undecided on whether it's a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment