Thursday, November 4, 2010

Knitting: Still Working on the Fluffy Stuff

Still working on the Snuggly Afghan, which might turn out to be the Snuggly Bedspread.  Little Monkey Pants recently got new sheets and needs a brighter, cuter bedspread to go with them.



The squares for this thing seem to go really fast, but once I started piecing them together, I wasn't making as much progress as I thought I was.  Good thinking on my part to use the Yellow Crayon yarn that I bought over 20 skeins of when the color was being discontinued.  It's the main color, interspersed with a bright pink and citrus orange.... I love those three colors together, but now I'm wishing I'd added some blues and greens.  And ordered more of the secondary colors.  At the time, I thought two skeins that made 10 squares each would be plenty, but the end result is smaller than I anticipated.


What you see above would make a very large couch cushion.  I'm already on my second skein of pink, so it looks like I'll have to order more.  I'll just have to make a crap-ton of yellow squares while I'm waiting for the additional pink and orange to arrive.

I've also been using up the excess yarn from my Chullo Hat, now finished, by double-stranding it and crocheting the exact same basic granny square.  Since it's in browns, it will make a nice addition to the back of the couch.

I think the reasons I'm on the crochet kick are a) it feels faster b) I NEED to use up some yarn.  Seriously. and c) I picked some really boring stockinette projects for my knitting, and I'm in avoidance.  The granny square is easy enough to memorize (no hauling a book around) yet complex enough that I have to pay attention to what I'm doing.

I'm getting burned out on it though.  I hate to cast on yet another project, but I do have a rather nice Norwegian sweater kit from Knit Picks, and since the temps are dropping to the 40's this weekend, I'm thinking it will be handy soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment