Friday, October 23, 2009

Television: FOX is at it again.

FOX network is planning on setting Joss Whedon's "Dollhouse" aside during sweeps week, reports Entertainment Weekly. While this is not a good sign, I have to say I'm not surprised. I'm just not feeling "it" for Dollhouse the same way I did with "Firefly". Whether this is due to the intense drool-able appeal of Nathan Fillion (Firefly, Castle) or my vague distaste of Eliza Dushku (Buffy, Angel, Bring it On) or a combination of the two, I'm not going to be sad to see Dollhouse go. Considering the intense postcard-writing binge I went on when "Firefly" was in danger, that's really tragic.

I haven't hidden my irritation at certain plot-serving devices that make no sense (see last week's TV post) but these are minor things that can be overlooked if the rest of the show is stellar. But despite Joss' original statements that he wanted "Dollhouse" to be a showcase for the other facets of Dushku's acting talent, showing that she could play something besides a kick-ass bitch, Dushku comes off as wooden and silly in most cases, like a kid playing dress-up in big sister's clothes. Perhaps it's time to retire Echo to the attic and focus on the phenomenal talents of Enver Gjokaj or Dichen Lachman.

No comments:

Post a Comment