Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Knitting and Weaving Extra: The Zoom Loom

In order to finish my Sherry Stole (Ravelry link... oh heck, if it's not an Amazon link, it's a Ravelry link in this post... I won't bore you with telling you where each one goes) I had to order three more skeins of the Sherry Shimmer Laceweight.  They finally arrived yesterday, and now I'm a mere 16" from completing it.  The silk/wool combo has made for a soft, yet I think fairly warm fabric, and the slight variations in color look really striking.  I'm also amazed at how quickly this 3x3 tabby weave is progressing.  If I get off this computer and get to my loom, I'm sure I could be finished in an hour or less.

Which leads me to start puzzling over what to do next.  On the one hand, I have a crap-ton of sock yarn.  On the other I have several spools (yes, huge spools) of Peaches and Creme cotton yarn left over from knitting a log cabin blanket.  I am torn as to what to try. 

I have many, many skeins of a Gypsy red sock yarn I had intended on knitting into the Wool Peddler's Shawl from the Folk Shawls book I've had for a couple of years.  But how much cooler would it be to weave one instead?  Especially since I'm expecting a new book, The Weaver's Idea Book some time today.  I've heard nothing but glowing things about the book, and its ideas on how to create new fabrics on simple rigid heddle looms like my Kromski Harp.

I also want to get these Watermelon Socks done so I can start in on the Nether Garments from Zimmerman's Knitter's Almanac book.  You would not believe how absolutely NIPPY it gets here in coastal Texas in the late fall and winter.  Frost on the grass, see-your-breath, bitingly COLD.  I fully intend on finishing those puppies and wearing them like long-johns.  I might even make them with footies.  Heh.

No comments:

Post a Comment