Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Knitting: Sock Madness

I finally finished the Snowflake Socks (ugh).  That pattern was just a nightmare.  As I mentioned before, the errors in the legend key for the chart, topped with "snowflakes" that look like misshapen Xes made me nuts.  That and the mis-count on the mini-snowflakes and the wrapped stitches.  Blech.  I don't know why I bother making patterned socks.  They obscure the prettiness of the yarn most of the time.

I immediately cast on some plain old no-pattern socks in Knit Picks Felici Self-striping Sport sock yarn in the Chimney colorway.  Rust red, black, gray, and white.  The only pattern I'm going to put on them is ribbing for the leg... and this time I'm going to knit until the yarn runs out.  I have two inches of the toes done already.  I cast on from memory using the Turkish cast-on, increased until they were big enough, and will decide on a heel when I get to 6 1/2 inches long.

The Felici Sport is surprisingly luxurious and soft.  The last fingering-weight Felici I worked with a few years ago was skinny and hard... this has some "fluff" and softness to it.  It makes me look forward to using the fingering-weight Felici in the "Time Traveller" colorway I got (hello, homage to Dr. Who, how could I resist?) even more.

My stand for my rigid-heddle weaving loom arrived yesterday, but I have not de-boxed it yet.  There were also a couple of books so I got sidetracked. :D  Plus a new 16 port workgroup switch to replace our 8 port switch.  Hubby joked that pretty soon the microwave is going to be internet connected. 

But that's another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment