Monday, August 2, 2010

Food and Budget: Stocking Up and Back to School

Believe it or not, despite having just put up about 20 quarts of spaghetti sauce only a few months ago, I'm out again.  And that includes buying up pre-made jars of sauce that were on sale during the 10 for $10 sales.  Hubby likes the pasta (and I like the home-made pizza).  I'm going to have to hit the huge can aisle at the grocery store, buy some more canning lids, and make a huge batch.   I won't put it up in the freezer again... takes up too much space in our tiny freezer.  Unfortunately I have a lot of my cookbooks packed up while we're carrying out our mid-summer cleaning.  That's what would have been spring cleaning if I hadn't been such a procrastinator.

If you're like me, and you procrastinate, now is the time to buy canning supplies before they disappear for the summer.  School is starting soon, and you'd be amazed at how fast stuff disappears from store shelves now.  School supplies were picked over when we got there two weeks ago.... at Wal-mart!  A store famous for huge bins of crap had scraggly bins in mid-July, and school clothes in only the largest and smallest sizes.  I'm glad we didn't wait till next week.

Monkey pants has school function stuff this week... back to band orientation of some kind.  It's coming up faster than you would think.

No comments:

Post a Comment