Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Miscellaneous: Knitting, Beading, and the upcoming big Four-Two

In April I will be turning 42. One wonders if I'll get the answer to life, the universe, and everything. Or maybe end up part of the Valenzeti equation on LOST.  I think the number 42 is referenced somewhere on Dr. Who as well, but now I'm reaching.

So my husband announces, very dramatically, that he thinks he'll get me a Kindle for my birthday.  This wouldn't have anything to do with his recent upsurge of interest in e-books, not at all.  If I'd had my choice, as I have every other year, I would have asked for a Mirrix loom and some beader's design software.  Or maybe a gift certificate to Knit Picks.  But no.  I won't try to change his mind though... apparently I can put all my PDF knitting patterns on it, so it'll be useful.  Hah.

Amazon does have a free Kindle-format reader for the PC.  They also have an app for the iPhone, but I have no idea if that is free or not.  Me?  An iPhone?  Please.  If they dropped the mandatory contract with the bloodsuckers over at AT&T, maybe.

Wow, maybe I need to stop writing this blog first thing in the morning.  I'm kinda cranky.

Anyway, on my birthday every year I try and pick a new skill to develop over the coming year.  Past year favorites (and disasters) included the guitar, weaving, learning French (to complement my crappy Spanish), and computer programming.  This year, I'm not sure what to pick.  What I should do is find a local metalsmithing class so I'm less afraid of my soldering torch.  I've fired a rocket launcher and thrown grenades, you'd think a tiny little jumped-up butane lighter wouldn't freak me out, but it does.  I suppose because I haven't had a drill instructor shouting safety tips in my ear while I'm using it.

What do you guys think?  What's a skill you wish you had?  Salsa dancing?  Foil Fencing? (I always thought that looked like fun, but try and find an instructor)  A better chess game?

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget Level 42!

    Ok, everytime I come back from vacationing in Mexico I get fired up to learn Spanish. This time I'm really going to invest time to do it. I've found some free online lesson, etc.

    I'd also like to learn how to swim. Another by-product of vacationing near so much beautiful water/pools.

    I also keep saying I'm going to get into crocheting. It's a part of my 2010 goals.

    A Kindle, huh? That's really cool. :)

    ReplyDelete