Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Gaming: Ambition

So, last Wednesday my pre-order of "Sims 3: Ambitions" arrived... just in time to delay my progress on a knit-along.  But I digress.  I've been playing it for a week now, so I have some thoughts.

Fans in the Sims community have been asking to go to work with their sims since way back when Will Wright put out the original Sims.  I know, because I was there.  (Sorry, every once in a while a "Clue" line slips in out of nowhere)  Anyhoo, with "Ambitions" you can now do that... sort of.  Instead of following your guy or gal around from his cubicle to the coffee station to the restroom in an office environment (which, lets face it, would be a lot of fun if you could do the "Fight" option with your clone of the annoying guy you work with) you have five professions to choose from, and there are set tasks you do around town.  I've only done three of the five:  Inventor, Architectural Design, and I'm halfway through the Private detective.  The Firefighter also looks to be a mission around town sort of job, but the tattoo artist could be stationary.  We'll see.

This expansion pack is proving very entertaining, and a real breath of fresh air for the Sims 3.  Once I get done trying all the new profession options, we'll see if it continues to hold my interest.  For right now though it is very engaging.

My only problem with it is that it seems to be a bit on the buggy side.  I had a second-generation daughter who was my architect test run, and she somehow got bugged in two ways.  One, she was always disgusted by spoiled food, even though she had nothing in her "pockets" and nothing in the house.  Even when she went on a job.  And it read a steady ten minutes no matter where I took her.  I finally had to delete her family and start over, even though my plan was to take each generation through one of the new professions.  Two, her portfolio stopped updating, no matter how many pictures I took of new renovations she completed for her work.  Scrounging up clients was also a pain.

But despite these problems I'm enjoying the expansion a great deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment