Monday, July 5, 2010

Cooking: Up a Creek

So last payday I finally ordered a Canoe Pan I've had on my wishlist for at least a year.  Remember that post last fall where I was praising Kroger for their 10 for 10$ deals?  Yeah.  I've barely made a dent in the 10 cake mixes I bought.  We're not big on the sweets, here, unless they're cookies.

So, I bought the pan thinking I could turn those cake mixes into better-for-you Twinkie clones.  Not so much.  Turns out the pan comes with its own recipe.  Here's the thing though... it's very vague.  The ingredient list calls for a cake mix and a pudding mix.  Do they not know these things come in various sizes?  Well, I went with the cake mix I had on hand (doh) and the large pudding mixes.  Then more vague-ness... they do not tell you how to prepare this other than "follow the instructions for cupcakes on the cake mix packaging".  They should have stressed that this includes HOW FULL to fill each cup, because their instructions tell you to fill each well of the pan.  So I filled them to the top, thinking the pudding must make them rise less.

Boy, was I wrong.

Apparently the included recipe is for two full pans full of cakes.  Also, I would recommend having space in your refrigerator to cool them more quickly, because you cannot get them out of the pan without breaking them into a million pieces unless they are fully cooled.... so unless you bought two pans, you're screwed.

I have not tried their filling recipe yet.  At this point, I'm tempted to give the family the marshmallow fluff and a spoon and telling them to have at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment