Monday, January 11, 2010

Food: Shopping Again

The belt-tightening for the Holidays is finally over, and we can grocery shop again! Well, we can start stocking up on good deals again, we never really stopped buying.

This week we got some good deals on beef roasts, whole chickens, and white rice. I also got another 5 lb. chub of ground beef, and two pounds of ground pork so I can make some meatloaves for the freezer.

My meatloaf recipe is mostly in my head, but it's loosely based on the Ann Lander's Real Deal meatloaf. I'm pretty sure if you google it, it's there. It's a nicely firm meatloaf baked freeform (not in a pan but shaped on a cookie sheet) with three strips of bacon on top, and a small can of plain tomato sauce poured over the whole thing. It is quite good.

What I do is line a loaf pan with foil, lay in the bacon, press in the ground beef and pork mixture, then freeze. When it's solid, I pop it out of the pan and bag it. When it's time to cook, I place it on the cookie sheet and bake. Since I'm baking from frozen, I add 20 minutes. If you're unsure about this, just cook until a meat thermometer says it's 180 degrees farenheit in the center of the loaf. I don't add the tomato sauce until the last 20 minutes or so. There's no sugar, so it doesn't burn, but I like the bacon to get a bit crispier.

On the knitting front, my daughter's sweater is going really fast. I expect to have it done before Wednesday, which is good because I don't think the zipper will arrive before then. Joann is slow with shipping, and their website is ridiculous about updating shipping status... I have an order from TWO YEARS AGO that is still marked as "Processing".

No comments:

Post a Comment