Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Gaming: Not So Much

Well, I'm not as thrilled with "Star Trek Online" as I wanted to be. It's not that it doesn't capture the flavor of Trek... it does, and quite accurately. The problem is that it is 99% a flight sim with lasers and photon torpedos.

Have I mentioned I hate flight sims?

I would be much happier if it was even %50 flight sim and %50 away team missions, but so far beaming down to the planet is very, very rare. And it sucks.

I guess that my problem with flight sims and dogfighting games is that I have to put the majority of my concentration into flying my plane, ship, or whathaveyou. So much effort, just to keep the enemy in the crosshairs. Then I keep having to remember which button fires the weapon, how to route more power to the shields, all this while turning loop-de-loops. I'm sure the guy fans just LOVE this.

Me, I'd rather be running diplomatic missions.

Maybe as I level my ship won't feel like a sluggish drunkard to steer, but right now I'm hate hate HATING it. And no, a joystick controller won't help, assuming they're enabled. I tried that with Star Wars Galaxies and it just made my flying a different kind of complex.

Sigh. Well, at least I won't have to figure out where to come up with $240 for a lifetime subscription.

2 comments:

  1. This is very disappointing news. I really dislike flight sims and was looking forward to so much more from this. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's possible that because they have limited the content for the first part of the open beta that there is less away team content... I really hope this is the case.

    As it stands right now though, I'm not enjoying it. Yeah.

    ReplyDelete