Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Gaming: Virtual Buffet

This week I have been taking sips and slurps from several different games... mostly because my knitting has become my obsession again.

Star Trek Online had a patch last week, and it changed some things for the better.  They opened up some PvP arenas which helped a lot, mostly because you can choose between ship battles and ground battles, AND choose between co-operative PvP and combative.  It's still not the ratio I'd like, but I suppose it's their beta test, we're just playing in it.

I've been struggling to re-do all the levels in Farm Frenzy 3: American Pie at Gold status.  I swear these people build a few levels that simply cannot be completed in time just to tick me off.

Other than that, I've mostly been trying out a few of the games I got on Steam at bargain prices over the holidays.  I'm sad that it took me this long to try Prototype, as it's really a neat game.  I think I would have enjoyed it more on the 360, but you can't beat getting it at less than $10.  I think Steam went insane, it's the only explaination.  Prototype is similar in some ways to Darkness, a game that I blazed through on the 360 and even started to play a second time through, which is rare for me.  I'm not liking Prototype's controls on the PC though.  I think a controller would be helpful.

I'm also expecting delivery of my new video card today.  My old ATI HD3650 died (its processor fan suddenly stopped working) so I am hobbling along on an Nvidia card hubby had laying around.  I was amazed that Star Trek online (STO) would even work on it.  Prototype gave me a huge, pink blur the first time around.  It pained me to have to install new drivers for a card that is going to be removed in a few days.

We are also preparing for the move to Windows 7.  My daughter is not keen on the idea, but I'm looking forward to having a feature that will limit her computer time to a time of day of my choosing.  It might make bedtime less... argumentative?

Back on topic, STO finishes Beta today at 6pm, and the servers will be down until the "Head Start" event begins on Friday.  It will go live shortly after.

No comments:

Post a Comment