Saturday, February 6, 2010

Miscellaneous: Colored Glass for Windows

Made the jump to Windows 7 today, and once the loooooong install process was over, it was relatively quick and easy to get used to.  I went with an upgrade version, installed to replace my Windows MCE (Media Center Edition) which is a variant of XP.  It was two clicks and a long wait.  Very painless.

The pain came when trying to reinstall my Kaspersky Anti-virus.  They are not getting more money to upgrade to 2010 when I just paid for 2009 four months ago.  But 2009 refuses to work on W7.

Everything else was a breeze.  I got the software at 10am, had it installed by 11, and by 11:15 I was playing Star Trek Online again.  I love Steam for gaming... codes are right there, and no messing with disks.

I was smart enough to de-register a few programs that would be affected by an OS change, such as Amazon's Kindle for the PC, and iTunes.  I'm up to four registered PCs for my iTunes, and this is the only machine I've ever used it on... it does not deal well with change.

My favorite feature so far is the Slideshow for the desktop wallpaper... for years I've been downloading third-party apps to do this, now it's built in.  Yes, I'm a PC and Windows 7 was my idea.  *snort*  It's definitely faster on the restart, and I don't get that sluggish feeling that used to happen between switching windows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment