Thursday, April 1, 2010

Miscellaneous: Greedy Reader

 I have a confession to make.  I got my birthday gift (a Barnes and Noble Nook) a bit early... like, three weeks early.  Now I've been going through about a book a day, and charging the thing at least once a day too... I'm assuming because I've been using it so much.

I've not used a Kindle, but from what I can tell, I made the right choice.  I've already added a 16 gig micro SD card to expand its capacity (Amazon was really stupid to take that option away from Kindle users in the redesign of the Kindle 2nd gen).  The touch screen to make menu choices or flip pages with a gesture is awesome.

And though I haven't used it while knitting, I *can* put my PDF knitting patterns on it, and they look great.  I think I'm still going to need to print charts however.  Can't use a magnet strip to mark my place, heh heh.

My one complaint is that the clicky buttons to turn pages are really loud... that kind of plastic-flexing, icky squeak sound that sets teeth on edge.  Which is why I was relieved to learn you could flip by swiping the touch-screen... and it feels more natural, too, like the kind of swiping gesture you'd make with a fingertip on a  paperback.

B&N was giving away a free copy of the first book in one of those ubiquitous "alternate history" vampires-live-among-us-and-everyone-knows-it fantasy series.  I've now gotten through book five in as many days.  I can't tell if it's because I like the series (I do, but not *that* much) or because I'm avoiding knitting that sweater.  Probably a little of both.

Today is Thursday, and so many TV shows are making their reappearance tonight, it's going to be insane.  I still haven't watched the V episode that aired this week, and I'll have Supernatural, Fringe, the Mentalist, and a score of others to catch up on.  Hopefully that will speed up the knitting, or at least kick it into a slow first gear.

3 comments:

  1. A book a day! That's some fast reading, my dear. :)

    I've only done that twice in my entire life. :)

    I'm not sure if I'm ready for an e-reader yet, but as my book space gets smaller I might. Not to mention I haven't reread a book since grade school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yah, and these are 400 pagers... not exactly tiny. Of course this particular author feels an overwhelming *need* to re-explain things that happened in previous books over and over, so I skim those paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't ereaders great? I have a Kindle 1 so I have a memory card for it. Hope you love yours as much as I love mine. I also love, love, love the free book sites!

    ReplyDelete