Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Economic woes

I talk a big game when it comes to what I want to do with my business, what my plans are, and what I spend its money on... the real trick comes with the execution. Despite good press, and very nice feedback, sales are dwindling right at the time when we could use them the most. All plans will have to be put on hold.

It sucks that what I'm really good at is providing, essentially, what are considered luxury items to hobbyists. Hey, if I could produce a really good fuel-efficient economy car, I would. I don't think that's an item I could sell on Etsy, though, even if I could produce it.

I was hit with wave after wave of depression yesterday. I received two fiction novels (my *only* purchase for myself this payday) at noon, and had finished them *both* by the time midnight rolled around last night. Yeah. That sucks... mostly because I will probably have to wait weeks to get another book. All our old books are in storage, and all I have here are non-fiction books I've pretty much read through several times and have absorbed all the knowledge I'm going to get from them.

So I'm stuck here in this really sucky reality where we have to put items back when we get to the checkout line at the grocery store (possibly the most embarrasing thing you would ever have to do) because the total is *way* higher than what we were expecting, and in all the commotion you accidentally leave the three boxes of Valentine's cookies for your daughter's school party at the store, and your husband is too proud to go back with the receipt to get them. And we knew we weren't going to be able to afford the cards in the first place, so now I have two days to make three dozen cookies AND three dozen valentines and have I mentioned how much I HATE deadlines? For ANYTHING?

I would dye or make jewelry, but I'm stuck in a color rut and the experts I asked said that it's best to take a break from the dyeing when that happens. So that's out. Jewelry I'm stuck because four different suppliers I order from are out of brass. Just completely out in any gauges or shape that's useful. And there is no WAY I'm going to try to push sterling silver out in this economy. Silver prices are just way too high. So that leaves copper... and there's only so many color stones that look good with copper, and only so many people who can *wear* copper. It's really not a viable option either.

So how's *your* week going?

No comments:

Post a Comment