Tuesday, February 3, 2009

It's just like Stephen King...

A few weeks ago, I tried dyeing while I was in a foul, angry mood. The colors that came out of the dye studio that day jarred on my nerves. I hated every single piece. I braided them up (rather sloppily) and shoved them in my personal collection, thinking I'd never want to spin them up. It was my own personal horror show.

But I pulled those out this morning, rearranging stuff in my space like I do when I'm procrastinating, and much like a writer who puts a manuscript in a drawer and takes it out again weeks later, these pieces didn't bother me so much. In fact, since they were so far outside my usual palette (I am purple, pink and red-happy all the time) I was actually really pleased with the muted yellow, gray and brown in 64ct Merino. They are currently airing out outside, and they'll be braided up and in the shop sometime today.

Meanwhile I am continuing with the red-purple (seriously thinking I'm channeling a character from a V.C. Andrews novel) in the dyepot this morning. This is in the merino/bamboo/nylon blend. I think I added a bit too much black to the pot, but we'll see what comes up after the rinse. One of the things I love about dyeing is that it continually surprises you what comes out of the pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment